Merry Christmas

Comments

  1. how can someone who is so anti-Christian make a Merry Christmas post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone asked this, it's an important question.

    The celebration of Christmas is one of the healthiest traditions remaining in our culture. The symbolism, imagery, songs, and holiday spirit contribute to a sense of collective identity that's often absent in our fragmented society. I love driving around at night looking at the Christmas lights on the houses, each house like its own little corner of the universe. The disintegration of the family is brought front-and-center during this time of year, as family members live miles apart, living different lives in different communities, essentially sharing only memories and an old address. Christmas changes this, it reaffirms our bonds and reminds us that our roots are never too deep so as to be forgotten.

    As dirty and parasitical as humanity is, I like to believe that Christmas, or maybe just this time of year, tends to bring out our best. In short, I agree with 17th century Jesuit scholar Baltasar Gracián y Morales in that one can recognize that Christianity was important in the development of the West without actually believing in Christianity.

    I hope that answered your question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I was a kid I used to want to get the latest and most expensive presents.Now I just want to get closer to my family and friends that are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish everyday were Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish everyday could be Christmas
    'cause every other holiday reeks;
    New Year's Day's for mom and dad
    The Easter bunny's eggs smell really bad
    Valentine's Day always makes me sad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts